March 14, 2009


Filed under: Harbour

Today the fins that have already had their beads put on at “1 World” in Florida, get glassed on and the boards are Hot Coated on the bottom. I must thank Tim Lane of Sundance Graphics for doing an excellent job on getting the fin laminates here so quickly. But we made a last minute decision to cut off the HARBOUR triangle because it covered up too much of the beautiful wood.

Here the fin has been strapped on with tape and Greg Martz is seen brushing the resin at the fin’s base to glue it down to the board.

Now Greg smears it with his finger to get it just right.

An hour has passed, the resin at the fin’s bases has cured and the fiberglass has been prepped.

The fin rope is dipped into the resin bucket. Now the excess must be squeezed out.

The excess resin is gone and the rope is ready to lay at the base of the fin. This is called the fillet, and provides the shape of a radius here for strength. Without it, there would be a sharp corner and any lateral pressure against the fin would surely cause it to break off. Now, when covered with fiberglass cloth, the load will be evenly distributed along this radius.

We always start with enough rope for both sides as one unit, and now it must be cut to length.

The rope lays at the fin’s base, ready to be covered with fiberglass.

Now Greg applies the fiberglass which will provide the lateral strength to the fin.

The fillet always has minute air bubbles and slight differences in thickness. This now needs to be smoothed out.

Now the excess resin must be removed from the flats.

Greg Noll’s son Jed Noll, that I admire as one of the premier surfboard makers in the world, drops by to check out the work in progress.

Now the board gets its first layer of Hot Coat resin. This will be repeated 2 more times, as these boards are wall hangers and they must be block sanded. More about that in Monday’s Sanding Session that is yet to come.

After pouring the resin down the middle of the board, the brush is used like a squeegee to spread it to the rails.

Now Greg brushes the resin smooth and Jed is still hanging out.

The fin must also recieve it’s share of Hot Coat.

Greg reflects on a mornings work. Nice job Greg!

Its a wrap.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.